Skip to main content

Students with a GPA of 3.3 or higher are eligible to pursue a degree with honors. A student who wishes to take this track should identify and contact a faculty thesis advisor before the end of the junior year. During the senior year, the student enrolls in a two-semester course sequence, ARCH 691H and 692H, which provides the opportunity to carry out an independent research project and write a thesis under the direction of the faculty advisor. The thesis is evaluated by a committee consisting of the advisor and two readers. A student who successfully completes the thesis may be be awarded honors or highest honors by the committee. Highest honors is awarded only in cases where the thesis is judged to be exceptional in comparison to other such works. You may also be interested in viewing Honors Theses completed by recent graduates in the Curriculum in Archaeology.

Here are some helpful resources for students who plan to write a thesis: